During these challenging times, I wanted to reach out to you to provide a resource of things we can do for ourselves to keep immunity strong. Along with frequent hand washing, social distancing, staying physically active and getting adequate sleep there are many food and nutrient choices that will support the body during infection.
There is a lot of fear and uncertainty as to how a virus will affect us. Like any other virus, if your immune system is healthy, your body will fight off the virus and you will have reduced sickness and downtime. Prevention is key but should you become infected support the immune system with the following measures;
My tips for boosting the immune system;
- Be sure to avoid any of your known food allergens such as wheat, dairy, gluten, egg, soy, etc. These will suppress the immune system and weaken the body.
- Remove sugar, refined grains, processed food and alcohol.
- Take a good quality probiotic or consume fermented food such as sauerkraut daily.
- Take a good quality digestive enzyme that contains HCL or Protease
- Eat a variety of vegetables such as; Squash, Yams, Onions, Garlic, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Asparagus, Tomato, Carrot, Leafy Greens, etc.
- Consume two servings of fruit daily such as Banana, Berries, Citrus, Papaya.
- Have three servings of healthy fats daily. Udo’s 3-6-9 oil, Chia and Hemp Seeds, Avocado, Olive Oil, Omega 3 fish oil, including some saturated fat such as eggs, coconut oil or from lean animal protein.
- Take supplements that will help support the immune system
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Oil of Oregano
- Anti-Viral herbs such as Echinacea and Goldenseal
- Take garlic pills or have 2 to 3 raw garlic cloves daily (chop into fine pieces, let sit for 10 minutes, put on a spoon and swallow it down with water. if you have a sensitive stomach, take at end of a meal)
- If you do feel yourself coming down with any symptoms, intensify immune health by adding:
- Oscillococcinum homeopathic cold and flu remedy by Boiron
- Ki cold and flu attack formula
- Immune mushroom formula such as Purica Immune 7
- If cough is present take N-A-C or L-Cysteine for lung support
- Take Broncha liquid Bronchitis & Cough relief by BioMed
The above tips are applicable to a healthy person, who does not have any other underlying health condition and not taking any prescription medications. These statements have not been evaluated by Health Canada. Any of the above suggestions are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Always consult with a qualified healthcare professional prior to beginning any diet or exercise program or taking any dietary supplement. The content on our website is for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice or to replace a relationship with a qualified healthcare professional.
I have also received new biofeedback protocols for immune boosting and helping the body with stresses associated with viral infection. I am available for remote consultations and virtual biofeedback sessions. Please call or email if you have any questions on the above or would like to book an appointment.
Valerie Mrakuzic, RHN
Eating to Live Well Inc.